Here are some links to check out:
- Cory Doctorow: Persuasion, Adaptation, and the Arms Race for Your Attention
- Los Angeles Review of Books: The Great Attention Heist
- Globe and Mail: Your smartphone is making you stupid, antisocial and unhealthy. So why can’t you put it down?
- Washington Monthly: How to Fix Facebook—Before It Fixes Us
- John Battelle: Facebook Can’t Be Fixed. and Lost Context: How Did We End Up Here?
- NYT: Facebook Overhauls News Feed to Focus on What Friends and Family Share - PR stunt or meaningful change?
- Lauren Hallden: Towards a Bra-free Instagram Experience
- You Can’t Stay Here: The Efficacy of Reddit’s 2015 Ban Examined Through Hate Speech - tl;dr: banning hate speech on Reddit actually reduced hate speech
- David Gilbertson: I’m harvesting credit card numbers and passwords from your site. Here’s how. - a cautionary tale about relying on the trustworthiness of Node.js packages.
- Zero-Width Characters - fingerprinting text with control characters
- Slava Akhmechet: Mental models - A handy list of mental models organized by category
- Vox Media design team’s top 19 books to read this year
- There’s a reason using a period in a text message makes you sound angry - I do this. I have resting angry text syndrome. [via karigee.com]