Making Unconscious Rules Conscious
When I look at the demographics of that 42%—they look a lot like me. I've been trying to understand why I have a strong negative reaction to what I see while people who are similar to me do not.
I tried to write down a list of rules that are constantly running in my brain that help me understand the world. As stimulus from the outside world comes in, I filter it through some process and then make decisions about how to react. This process has built up over time based on my experience and I don't even think about how it works anymore—it's just who I am. I gave each rule a one-word alias so they would be easier for me to remember and spot them as they're working.
- All humans are real, complex people who experience love and have hopes & dreams. (Respect)
- Not all sources of information are alike. Journalists are a better source of information than companies, governments, or peers even though these will be better sources for specific information at times. (Discern)
- Learn from diverse sources past and present; nuance exists and expanding your vocabulary can help you express and comprehend complex ideas. (Read)
- Our systems of governing and commerce are currently unfair with winners and losers. Zero sum competition is the business environment but not the entire human experience. Someone else's success does not diminish you. (Balance)
- Use power available to you to make the unfair world more fair for everyone. Help people in a weaker position. Vote every time. Frame issues when you talk about them. (Participate)
- Trust your own mind and observations and continually work to improve them. Skepticism of authorities is healthy. (Question)
- It is good to care about people and things you love and believe in. (Care)
- Make friends both online & off but spend more time with people in physical space. Listen carefully. (Connect)
- Doing things a different way from the majority is ok. Understand why things are popular but don’t feel compelled to follow. (Diverge)
- Think about how things you say and make could be interpreted and used in different contexts and change if it makes the world less fair. (Imagine)
- Wild, undeveloped spaces in our physical world are a source of inspiration so spend time there if you can. (Restore)