◆ a weblog by pb ◆
Good Afternoon Austin
Good Morning Austin
Goss Statue ⚾️
Wednesday Supplemental Links II
In the grand tradition (two is a tradition) of posting links on Wednesdays, here is some fine reading to tide you over until the weekend:
Mark Zuckerberg's Makeover Is a Political Campaign Without the Politics
Climbing Out Of Facebook's Reality Hole
- Facebook Instant didn't save publishing
- Shazam for birdsong! (Though $10 is steep and the early reviews aren't good.
Ask me what I do
Fairytale Prisoner by Choice
CNN treats politics like sports
How to Raise a Creative Child. Step One: Back Off
The Flickr Explore page is still really amazing
- (Inspired by Tim Carmody's stint on
gathering the best of the Web. Go there too!)
And here are a bunch of links! (I really need to get rid of the title requirement for link posts.)
Emoji for fun and profit
Is Trump At Mar-a-Lago
- Useful single-serving site.
Globe and Mail:
Trump craves praise. We praise him for bombings. What possibly could go wrong?
New York Times:
As New Zealand Courts Tech Talent, Isolation Becomes a Draw
- Let's go.
Saturn moon 'able to support life'
- Let's go.
Why one Republican voted to kill privacy rules: “Nobody has to use the Internet”
State of Amazon Letter
Over 550 Amazon Employees Are Pressuring Leadership To Cut Advertising Ties With Breitbart
Closing Communities: FFFFOUND! vs MLKSHK
- I enjoyed both of these communities. Indie Web come back!
Like Twitter But Hate the Trolls? Try Mastodon
America Loves an Underdog
- A nice look at reusing civic spaces.
- Understand why a system exists before you set out to remove it.
Samsung Internet Developers:
Think you know the top web browsers?
Chrome 59 has cross-platform headless support
- Scraping just got more powerful, thanks Chrome!
Wednesday Supplemental Links
I usually post links on the weekend. I guess these are supplemental links.
How Google Book Search Got Lost
Harvard Business Review:
A New, More Rigorous Study Confirms: The More You Use Facebook, the Worse You Feel
Social media tools can reinforce stigma and stereotypes
Remote work: For programmers, the ultimate office perk is avoiding the office entirely
The Corporation Does Not Always Have To Win
- good rant about United and human dignity.
- a rainbow of SVG brand icons.
Sunday Links, Early April
Here are some links I've been meaning to share:
The Washington Post:
Mitch McConnell, the man who broke America
Top Democrats Are Wrong: Trump Supporters Were More Motivated by Racism Than Economic Issues
The Long, Lucrative Right-wing Grift Is Blowing Up in the World's Face
Is the dark really making me sad?
Tech Bigwigs Know How Addictive Their Products Are. Why Don’t the Rest of Us?
The New York Times:
How Uber Uses Psychological Tricks to Push Its Drivers’ Buttons
DDC Hardware typeface
- I love this new (old) font. I'm using it on my site at this moment!
Content Design Centre:
Example content strategy
Deep Photo Style Transfer
- The examples here are amazing.
- The creator of Mastadon on what the heck Mastodon is. (It's a distributed alternative to Twitter that people are using to be social rather than whatever people are doing on corporate social media.) See also:
Mastodon Is Like Twitter Without Nazis, So Why Are We Not Using It?
- A great tool I've been using to debug sites on an iPhone while developing on Windows.
- Nicely designed server monitoring tool.
Do not let your CDN betray you: Use Subresource Integrity
Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2017
The soundtrack to these links is
Avant Gardener by Courtney Barnett
. Still love this song more than I should.
Alice Biddle in the rain
Bald Chip II