So many links, friends. Don't read them all in one sitting. Check the videos at the bottom for a mental chaser or just skip ahead to that.
Read These First
- Anil Dash: 12 Things Everyone Should Understand About Tech
- Data & Society: The Promises, Challenges, and Futures of Media Literacy
- danah boyd: You Think You Want Media Literacy… Do You? - "I’m not convinced that we know how to educate people who do not share our epistemological frame."
- John Maeda: Design in Tech Report
- Erika Hall: The 9 Rules of Design Research
- The Guardian: ‘I made Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’: meet the data war whistleblower
- New York Times: How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions
- Facebook: Suspending Cambridge Analytica and SCL Group from Facebook
- The Intercept: Facebook Quietly Hid Webpages Bragging of Ability to Influence Elections
- New York Review of Books: Disarming the Weapons of Mass Distraction
- Democracy Journal: The Future of Leisure
- The Atlantic: Huge MIT Study of ‘Fake News’: Falsehoods Win on Twitter
- New York Times: YouTube, the Great Radicalizer
- Seth Radley: The Broccoli Tree: A Parable - I'm conflicted about this one. Sharing a tragedy together isn't necessary better than avoiding the tragedy in the first place?
- umair haque: Why America Should Have Had the World’s Best Social Contract (Instead of Settling For the Worst)
- Paul Ford: Bitcoin Is Ridiculous. Blockchain Is Dangerous - This had me empathizing with the blockchain folks?
- PetaPixel: How Two Photographers Unknowingly Shot the Same Millisecond in Time - Some nice photographic forensics here.
- Dictionary.com: Emoji Archives - Writing down how we use emoji takes some of the fun out of it.
- Panic: The Mystery of the Slow Downloads - So great to see Panic clean up a corner of the Internet that seems untouchable.
- Hurry boys it's waiting there for you: Toto- Africa (playing in an empty shopping centre) via New Yorker via Lia.
The best thing from last week was this Travel Oregon video in the style of Studio Ghibli:
After that, watch actual Studio Ghibli background artist Kazuo Oga paint: