Bad times edition.
- The Atlantic: Google and Facebook Failed Us - Current algorithms can't handle breaking news.
- @zchamu: Twitter shittery, and how we are all doomed: a thread. - Twitter leadership refuses to accept the paradox of tolerance.
- @yonatanzunger: I worked on policy issues at G+ and YT for years... - Context for Twitter leadership's intransigence.
- Infowarzel: The Milo Emails: Don't Make The Gamergate Mistake Again - Some context for the important article about Breitbart by Joseph Bernstein at BuzzFeed.
More Bad News
- The Atlantic: Death at a Penn State Fraternity - Excellent reporting on a painful and infuriating story.
- Wall Street Journal: Yahoo Triples Estimate of Breached Accounts to 3 Billion - The price of centralization.
- Engadget: Former Equifax CEO blames breach on one IT employee - No, you "can't fix stupid" as one Senator suggests but you can make massive data aggregation illegal. Maybe the bigger stupid is the fact that Equifax exists at all.
- The Guardian: 'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia
And Now, This
- The World of Tomorrow - Fantastic first issue of a new online comic set in the early Internet days. Subscribe!
- Calling Bullshit - An open course by two professors at the University of Washington about identifying and countering bullshit in our media diets. We should all take this.
- Japanese Vending Machines at Night Juxtaposed with a Wintry Hokkaido Landscape - Escape into wintery convenient stillness through these photographs.
- Optical Effects in User Interfaces (for True Nerds) - *raises hand*.
RIP Tom Petty. Here he is getting jam band-y with Mudcrutch: