Bad times edition.
Google and Facebook Failed Us
- Current algorithms can't handle breaking news.
Twitter shittery, and how we are all doomed: a thread.
- Twitter leadership refuses to accept the
paradox of tolerance
I worked on policy issues at G+ and YT for years...
- Context for Twitter leadership's intransigence.
The Milo Emails: Don't Make The Gamergate Mistake Again
- Some context for the
important article about Breitbart
by Joseph Bernstein at BuzzFeed.
More Bad News
Death at a Penn State Fraternity
- Excellent reporting on a painful and infuriating story.
Wall Street Journal:
Yahoo Triples Estimate of Breached Accounts to 3 Billion
- The price of centralization.
Former Equifax CEO blames breach on one IT employee
- No, you "can't fix stupid" as one Senator suggests but you can make massive data aggregation illegal. Maybe the bigger stupid is the fact that Equifax exists at all.
'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia
And Now, This
The World of Tomorrow
- Fantastic first issue of a new online comic set in the early Internet days.
- An open course by two professors at the University of Washington about identifying and countering bullshit in our media diets. We should all take this.
Japanese Vending Machines at Night Juxtaposed with a Wintry Hokkaido Landscape
- Escape into wintery convenient stillness through these photographs.
Optical Effects in User Interfaces (for True Nerds)
- *raises hand*.
RIP Tom Petty. Here he is getting jam band-y with
, 11:42 am