- The Atlantic: What Facebook Did to American Democracy - Alexis Madrigal: "The information systems that people use to process news have been rerouted through Facebook, and in the process, mostly broken and hidden from view."
- BuzzFeed: Climbing Out Of Facebook's Reality Hole
- BuzzFeed: Facebook Says Its Fake News Label Helps Reduce The Spread Of A Fake Story By 80% - The lag time to identify is about three days though.
- Recode: Dear @Jack: It’s time to suspend Donald Trump from Twitter
- GQ: Twitter Should Shut Down Donald Trump’s Account Before He Starts a Nuclear War
- Politico: Twitter deleted data potentially crucial to Russia probes
- Vanity Fair: Why Twitter Silenced One Of Harvey Weinstein's Accusers
- Washington Post: Google uncovers Russian-bought ads on YouTube, Gmail and other platforms
- Washington Post: Pierre Omidyar: 6 ways social media has become a direct threat to democracy
- Rambling Space: Apple created the attention sinkhole. Here are some ways to fix it.
- Thrive Global: The Secret of Happiness and Living a Good Life - by Tim O'Reilly. I really like "Will what is necessary..."
- Hackernoon: Spotify’s Discover Weekly: How machine learning finds your new music - Discovery Weekly is absolutely my favorite Spotify feature. Its picks are uncanny. Here's why.
- A Dictionary of American Slang (1926) - Some capital slang in this old chestnut from the 20s. Part of the new Sonny Bono Memorial Collection of copyright-questionable works at the Internet Archive.
- The Rock Test: A Hack for Men Who Don’t Want To Be Accused of Sexual Harassment - Not only is this hilarious on its own, it was tweeted out by The Rock.
I took a day off from Twitter yesterday and it was fantastic. I highly recommend social media fasting. I have already uninstalled Twitter and Facebook apps from my phone but I'm such a creature of habit I had to block twitter.com from myself in various hosts files and with parental controls on my iPhone. Of course I can easliy undo these, but that little speedbump from my mammal brain reminds my lizard brain that I'm trying to stay away. I need to find a way to make breaking that addiction a regular habit. har har.